A simple, classic Italian risotto traditionally served with Veal Osso Buco. Flavored with saffron and Parmesan cheese, it also makes a great accompaniment to fish or chicken dishes.
Serves 4 as a side dish with Osso Bucco
- 2 cups Bone Roasters Chicken Stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Risotto Milanese
- Combine the Chicken Stock and water in a medium saucepan, bring the mixture to a simmer, and keep it at a low simmer over low heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until it is soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine, 1/2 cup of the simmering stock and the saffron, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next, until the rice grains are al dente, and the risotto has a creamy consistency. (Add more liquid if the risotto seems too dry.)
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and the remaining tablespoon of butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately – Serves 4 as a side dish with Osso Bucco