French Onion Soup
This classic French Onion Soup is as delicious as it is easy. Perfect for warming you at home or for elegant entertaining. The Veal Stock gives the French Onion Soup a depth of flavour that needs to be tasted to appreciated.
- 100 grams butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 kg onions, thinly sliced
- 500 grams Bone Roasters Veal Stock and 6 cups of water (Bone Roasters Stock is very concentrated)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste (remember Bone Roasters Stocks have no added salt)
- French baguette sliced
- 250 grams coarsely grated Gruyere or Comté cheese
- Melt butter in a large, wide heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and starting to caramelise (browned.) About 1 hour. (Lower the heat if the onions begin to stick to the bottom of the pan or burn)
- Add the Veal Stock, water and wine to the pot. Wrap the thyme, parsley and bay leaf in a small square of cheesecloth and add the bundle to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, scraping the base to mix in any caramelised bits, for 30 minutes.nRemove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls; top with toasted bread and cheese. Transfer to oven tray and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. (Placing under a grill works just as well.)